Friday, September 18, 2009

A Letter From a Hero

Here is a letter from Ian, the Denver team hero's grandmother.  Break out the tissue.

Hello Triathlon Team,

Team Hero Ian and family would like to sincerely thank you for all of your hard work and dedication to training and fundraising over the past several months. We know it has not been easy and we want you to know how much we really appreciate all you are doing to help find a cure for blood cancers. We never would have thought the youngest member of our family would be diagnosed with Leukemia when he was only two years old. We have had some rough times these past three years, but being part of TNT has helped give us hope and the realization that we are not in this alone.

Some of you have met Ian and you have seen that he is a little shy. And he is too young to really understand what all of us are doing in the purple and green shirts, and those strange "monster" wetsuits. As his grandmother, I can tell you what he probably would like to say to you some day when he understands all of this a little better:
Because of you, I started Kindergarten this year just like a normal 5 year old kid. 
Because of you, I do not have to live in a bubble. I can play with other kids. 
Because of you, I have been able to avoid radiation chemotherapy. I lost my hair only once! 
Because of you, I am in the hospital less, and in school and playing with my friends more. 
Because of you, I can play with my Transformers, Star Wars and Spider Man toys. 
Because of you, I have an 80% greater chance of survival than I would have just a few years ago. 
Because of you, I have witnessed strange monsters coming out of the water! 
Because of you, I want to ride my bike, run really fast and learn to swim. 
Because of you, I want to do something to help others.

Thank you Team In Training! You are awesome! I hope this gives you a little inspiration on your big day!

Love,

Team Hero Ian and Family

My triathlon is less than two days away now, and this letter really brought home why I am still doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment