Thursday, June 4, 2009

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off......

Ok, after that last really depressing post, I thought I'd follow up with something a little more upbeat.  Before I even conceived of the idea of becoming a "Team in Training" member and spending all of my time training for a triathlon, I had another goal: BolderBoulder.  I think I signed up for BolderBoulder in January, and even though I had only run two 5k races, I started training for this 10k road race undaunted.  I completed the BolderBoulder in about 71 minutes and had a fantastic time; it was a blast!  There were more than 50,000 participants and 26 bands playing all along the route.  Not to mention friendly neighbors handing out Doritos and cupcakes on their lawns, ringing cowbells, spraying us with waterhoses and inviting us to their Slip 'n Slides.  We ended at Folsom Field at Colorado University.  I felt like an Olympian as I entered the stadium and started passing people left and right as I made my way to the finish line.  It was such an incredible feeling knowing how hard I had trained for that moment and finished strong.  Here are a couple of pictures from race day:

               Shane and Carissa, ready to wait for me at the finish line.

    Here's one of the professional wheel chair racers from the event, they were really fast.

    These soldiers ran the whole way, then did about 50 push-ups before crossing the finish line.

News from the fundraising front: I have a couple of great ideas for making my goal.  I'm selling breakfast burritos at Shane's work, complete with sign up sheet and cost per burrito. I'm going to have a neighborhood garage sale where, hopefully, my neighbors will just give me their valuable junk to sell.  Finally, and this one I'm really excited about, I got a brewery to agree to donate beer for a beer tasting.  Wish me luck as I try to put all of this together in about a month!

No comments:

Post a Comment